Is it really better in the buff?

Want to lose weight? Suffering from arthritis, asthma, acne, cancer? Concerned about the welfare of animals? How about people? Local Economy? The Environment? Good, then you're in the right place to make a difference.

Personally, I have a rabid passion for environmental conservation and sustainability, optimum mental, physical, and spiritual health, animal rights, and human rights, so the answer is clear: plant-based, organic foods.

Others out there may simply want to improve their dietary choices to combat chronic illness or to lose weight, or contribute less to environmental degradation, or maybe you just have an emotional attachment to cows. ;) In these cases, you may be satisfied with making minor changes to your grocery list, and so this blog can be a tool for a reformation, rather than a total transformation. Great!

Either way, I am here to assist you and guide you along your journey to a healthier you! This blog has something for everyone, even the die-hard omnivore, because even meat-eaters like the occasional vegetable.

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Meal Planning for the Raw Foodist


Want to lose weight? Suffering from arthritis, asthma, acne, cancer? Concerned about the welfare of animals? How about people? Local Economy? The Environment? Good, then you're in the right place to make a difference.

So far, I've discussed the obvious and basic health benefits of a raw food diet (recap: raw foods are more efficient and complete sources of protein, they promote optimal health by detoxifying the body and boosting the immune system, they prevent, treat, and reportedly "cure" chronic illness, and they lead to weight loss). But the real beauty of raw foods is that they offer these benefits, to some degree, in any quantity. You don't have to overhaul your entire lifestyle to reap the rewards of raw foodism!

The key is to focus on raw fruits and vegetables when planning your meals. If you make raw foods the center piece, the entree, the main dish, then you'll eat a lot less of the fatty, processed, unnatural and cooked foods that pollute your body (and the earth).

Americans have grown accustomed to having meat as the main course for every meal, but that is simply not necessary (or healthy or economically sound). Start simple: Salad for dinner, instead of steak. Sounds boring and unsatisfying? Crazy! Expand your horizons and think of all the options you really have!

Spinach, Iceberg, Endive, Arugula, Romaine, Cabbage
Cucumbers, Zucchini, Squash, Eggplant
Roma tomatoes, Beefsteak Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, Grape Tomatoes, Heirloom Tomatoes
White onions, Yellow onions, Sweet onions, Vidalia onions, Red onions, Green onions, Chives
Carrots, Parsnips, Beets
Chickpeas, Green Peas, Edamame (soy beans), Black Beans, Corn
Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Pine Nuts
Cranberries, Raisins, Pears, Apples




Shall I continue?

You would be surprised at how filling and palate-pleasing a hearty (yep, I said hearty) salad can be. And it's a simple start to transforming your eating habits, your mind, and your body. I guarantee if you start a meal with a salad like this, your meat and potatoes will seem much less appealing. And soon, you will feel the physiological benefits of such a change: more energy, clarity of mind, healthier skin and hair, more restful sleep. You can't lose!

All that being said, I'd like to share with you the changes I have made, thus far, in my diet.

As I mentioned, I eliminated caffeine, refined sugars, bleached starches and alcohol from my diet about 8 years ago...after having been a vegetarian for 7 years. Unfortunately, I replaced all of those things with "healthy" cookies, crackers and chips, and LOTS of (soy-based) meat replacements (now I'm saving the animals and the planet, but pouring chemicals into my own body). After delving into macrobiotics for a stint, I realized that I had to do something about the processed foods I was consuming, and so I transitioned to a predominantly "rice and beans" diet (gotta get that protein!), supplemented by plenty of (cooked) veggies and modest amounts of fruit (in an attempt to limit fructose). This is not a terrible way to live. After all, what I'm not getting from the raw veggies, I'm getting from...um...where? Yeah, exactly.

Sure, I got my protein and fiber. I got acceptable amounts of vitamins C, A, D and the occasional B's. But I had to eat SO much food to feel full, and would have had to eat even more to get all the enzymes, vitamins and nutrients I needed, that it seems largely inefficient and even silly to continue in that pattern.

Okay, I've made my point regarding health and raw foods. You get it. So, what CAN you eat? Let me tell you what my typical raw day looks like, and then I will include some helpful links on how to stock your kitchen for a raw food lifestyle (complete with grocery lists for a transitional or mostly raw diet, and for a 100% raw diet).

Dark green, leafy veggies are of utmost importance. They are the primary source of everything you need to survive, period. So this must be your focus every day. In theory, you would need to eat about 2 bunches of these greens every day to reap all the benefits, however, technology (and juicers) have made this easier and tastier.

I start the day with green juice. This can come in the form of a powder (Greens+, for example) which you add to water, or you can create your own green juice recipe, OR you can indulge in a tasty, pre-made green juice, like Naked Juice's Green Machine, Bolthouse Farms' Green Goodness, or Odwalla's Superfood (listed in order of my taste preference). If you've never had one of these, you may be turned off by their appearance (green sludge), however, just breaking the seal reveals a fragrant, fruity, tempting aroma that will make you salivate. Because these juices are made with real, fresh, live (sometimes organic) fruits, which mask the otherwise sketchy flavors of spinach, broccoli, kale, and spirulina, they are surprisingly tasty and refreshing (and filling, with a pound of fruit in every bottle!)

Mid-morning snack: I like to dip a banana in some homemade, raw granola. I have found several recipes online, but granola is very personal (ie. I don't care for sunflower seeds or dried apples in mine), so I made up my own. If you'd like the recipe (oats, honey, coconut, vanilla, almonds, raisins, carob chips), let me know. Also, most recipes call for a food dehydrator, which I don't have, but you can use your oven. This is not energy efficient, however, as it requires leaving your oven on about 140, for up to 16 hours, while it's open.

Lunch is a lush salad. Do it up your way (trust me, it beats Burger King!).

Afternoon snack can be fruit, nuts, veggies, a combination of those. Also, there are some yummy raw food snack bars on the market, like LaraBars, Raw Revolution, and Raw Organic Food bars.

Dinner is when I like to experiment with new raw recipes, like the ravioli. There is an abundance of them online. Start looking here:

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/raw-food-diet-recipe-index.html
http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

And here are your shopping lists!

Transitional Foods (PDF file):
http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/support-files/transition-diet-shopping-list.pdf

All Raw (PDF file):
http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/support-files/raw-food-diet-shopping-list.pdf

http://http//www.fromsadtoraw.com/TheRawKitchen.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment