Is it really better in the buff?

Want to lose weight? Suffering from arthritis, asthma, acne, cancer? Concerned about the welfare of animals? How about people? Local Economy? The Environment? Good, then you're in the right place to make a difference.

Personally, I have a rabid passion for environmental conservation and sustainability, optimum mental, physical, and spiritual health, animal rights, and human rights, so the answer is clear: plant-based, organic foods.

Others out there may simply want to improve their dietary choices to combat chronic illness or to lose weight, or contribute less to environmental degradation, or maybe you just have an emotional attachment to cows. ;) In these cases, you may be satisfied with making minor changes to your grocery list, and so this blog can be a tool for a reformation, rather than a total transformation. Great!

Either way, I am here to assist you and guide you along your journey to a healthier you! This blog has something for everyone, even the die-hard omnivore, because even meat-eaters like the occasional vegetable.

Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

If you make Spring Rolls in the Fall, are they still called Spring Rolls?

It is decidedly so.

And that is what I did. I made Peanut Sauce last week and, since my recipe yields about a gallon of sauce, I had plenty left over for tonight's feast!

If you're a peanut sauce fan, you'll love this recipe! While most peanut sauce recipes call for 3-5 ingredients, mine calls for 12. The additional flavors give this sauce a unique and complex character, without a lot of labor. It's also easy to adjust the recipe, adding or subtracting ingredients to your liking. I can't take full credit for this concoction, however. The original version of this recipe belongs to my friend, Chef John David Crow of Seattle. I modified it while developing a macrobiotic diet regimen during my breast cancer treatment, and I never looked back!

This peanut sauce goes well with Spring Rolls, or tossed with rice noodles and stir fried veggies and tofu. John served it with a chicken dish, garnished with broccoli rabe. It's also great as a fondue with fried tofu and grilled focaccia bread! What's your favorite peanut sauce dish?

I will not likely post my Spring Roll recipe, as (like sushi) Spring Roll fillings are highly personal. I like to use a dark leafy green, like wilted kale, fresh basil, rice noodles (sticks), crisp apples, grated carrots, julienned cucumbers, a sprig or two of cilantro, and baked tofu. Below, you will see pictures of the preparation process. Rice paper can be difficult to work with, but worth the time, if you take it.


















2 comments:

  1. these look delicious - I was surprised to find out that they were raw and not cooked!

    I'm a college student looking into being a vegetarian - or at least more of a picky omnivore when it comes to where my meat is coming from. I'm also trying to eat less processed foods, but I'm finding that one of my biggest difficulties is time and snacking. The former because it seems like everything vegetarian takes lots of time (cutting, peeling, chopping, coring, etc.); and with snacks especially: I just want something that I can grab and eat on the go that will fill me up temporarily, not be too noisy or messy to eat in class, and won't kill my college budget.

    Any suggestions on how to eat veggie (especially in the snack department) and save both time and money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaclynn!

    Unfortunately, I was not able to respond to your comment in the detail I would have liked to here, so I made the answers to your questions an entire blog post! Check out the home page. :)

    ReplyDelete