Is it really better in the buff?

Want to lose weight? Suffering from arthritis, asthma, acne, cancer? Concerned about the welfare of animals? How about people? Local Economy? The Environment? Good, then you're in the right place to make a difference.

Personally, I have a rabid passion for environmental conservation and sustainability, optimum mental, physical, and spiritual health, animal rights, and human rights, so the answer is clear: plant-based, organic foods.

Others out there may simply want to improve their dietary choices to combat chronic illness or to lose weight, or contribute less to environmental degradation, or maybe you just have an emotional attachment to cows. ;) In these cases, you may be satisfied with making minor changes to your grocery list, and so this blog can be a tool for a reformation, rather than a total transformation. Great!

Either way, I am here to assist you and guide you along your journey to a healthier you! This blog has something for everyone, even the die-hard omnivore, because even meat-eaters like the occasional vegetable.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Siskel and Emma

It recently occurred to me (just now, actually, on my way up to bed), what a valuable partnership I have at my disposal, right next to the garbage disposal (where my little helper stands while I prepare meals), here before my very eyes, in my humble home.


My biggest fan is also my biggest critic, even though she happens to be pint-sized.  And until this very moment, I had overlooked our potential as a dynamic duo in our mission to nourish people and the planet.


Emma has a very mature and refined palate (for a 5 year-old) to accompany her adventurous taste buds.  She will try anything, once.  She is always enthusiastic to taste my latest creations, with an open mind and an excitement that is only present in a child.  I think she is growing to love and appreciate food just as much as I do.  


Graham says Emma is the best eater he knows - she loves raw fruits and veggies, and prefers her salads without dressing.  Her favorite foods include tofu, mushrooms, spinach, almonds, buckwheat pancakes, and spring rolls with peanut sauce.  She turns her nose up at most processed foods (meat analogs, cookies, crackers, pretzels, pop tarts, chips, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese - I know, right?)  She's an odd kid, but a good eater. Thank goodness.


So, I'm going to talk to her tomorrow about being my official assistant: The Kiddie Kitchen Critic.  I was going to be cutesy and spell it "Kritic," but I don't want you to confuse her with the KKK.  Yikes!


She and I will develop a rating system, a la "5 Stars," but I'll leave it up to her which merit symbol we'll use (will she pick carrots?  strawberries?  broccoli trees?  aprons? who knows?) - and with every new concoction, I will seek her input.  Not that I have to dig too deeply; she is fairly outspoken...


For instance, last night she said, "Mom, you usually make really good food, but this is not good.  I do not like it."  Of course, that statement isn't entirely accurate, because just a few days ago, she said, "Mom, I want you to make me something else."  Usually?  That might be optimistic.


So, here, meet the Kiddie Kitchen Critic!

No comments:

Post a Comment