Is it really better in the buff?

Want to lose weight? Suffering from arthritis, asthma, acne, cancer? Concerned about the welfare of animals? How about people? Local Economy? The Environment? Good, then you're in the right place to make a difference.

Personally, I have a rabid passion for environmental conservation and sustainability, optimum mental, physical, and spiritual health, animal rights, and human rights, so the answer is clear: plant-based, organic foods.

Others out there may simply want to improve their dietary choices to combat chronic illness or to lose weight, or contribute less to environmental degradation, or maybe you just have an emotional attachment to cows. ;) In these cases, you may be satisfied with making minor changes to your grocery list, and so this blog can be a tool for a reformation, rather than a total transformation. Great!

Either way, I am here to assist you and guide you along your journey to a healthier you! This blog has something for everyone, even the die-hard omnivore, because even meat-eaters like the occasional vegetable.

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Days 5 and 6!

All I can say is Y.U.M.

Today did not get off to a good start.

First, Emma spent the entire night coughing.  I laid awake with her from 1:15 until the wee hours of the morning.  After a generous and peaceful 2 hours of sleep, I awoke to the realization that school (for me) had been delayed, while school (for Emma) had been canceled.  This put a kink in my day.

Today had been slated for studying.  I was also supposed to attend the FANTABULOUS film, Forks Over Knives...but I discovered that it had been sold out, despite the venue's strict pre-sale policy: "no advance ticket sales...no exceptions!"  Since I had already hired a babysitter and arranged for a "date night" with Graham, I decided we should go to dinner anyway...after my 3-hour biology exam.

We found ourselves staring blankly at an unfamiliar menu, in an old familiar favorite restaurant; they had just changed and consolidated the menu that day.  Not cool.  So the raw dishes we had our taste buds set on were no longer options.  That seemed to be the theme of the day. 

I ordered the Laughing Seed Salad and added a side of Hummus and Seaweed Salad. 
Very tasty,
and plenty to go around. 

For our entrees, we each had the Raw Zucchini Manicotti, stuffed with Basil Pesto and Cashew Ricotta, over Sun-dried Tomato Marinara.  SO good.



And dessert?  Yes, they have raw desert!  Raw, vegan vanilla ice cream, with raw vegan chocolate sauce!



All in all, this one hour of my day was a success.

Friday was tough.

Emma's illness escalated to a stomach bug, complete with vomiting beginning at 6:30 AM.  Awesome.

I missed my first class, as we gauged her recovery and decided, ultimately, that she was okay to go to school.  I, however, was EXHAUSTED, after a week of late nights at work, doing homework, and caring for my sick baby.  Collectively, I may have gotten a total of 10 hours of sleep all week.  Nice.

Graham was headed out of town to see his kiddos, so we met at Greenlife Grocery for lunch.  We each made a hearty, leafy green salad, complete with every raw veggie possible.  Then I made a visit to the deli counter and added 3 "living foods" Zucchini Kofta balls to mine.  With a little Tumeric-Tahini dressing, I was raw heaven.

Dinner was nondescript, since I was at work.  The usual finger foods and snacks (veggies, hummus, nuts).

Tacking on 3 extra days to my usual 7-day cleanse has been psychologically daunting; a real test of my self-control and resolve.  Ordinarily, I'd be looking forward to a nice, home-cooked Sunday brunch tomorrow; instead, I'm counting down the hours until Wednesday.

Stick it out; this is the home stretch!

Go be rawsome!

3 comments: